- This event has passed.
Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholders Meeting 2023 – The Good Investing Guide
6. May 2023 @ 07:00 - 16:00
👉🏻 Find our 2024 Berkshire AGM guide here. 👈🏻
👉🏻 Find our continuously updated 2024 Berkshire AGM guide here. 👈🏻
Berkshire Hathaway Annual General Meeting 2023 – Key facts
The Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholders Meeting 2023 takes place on Saturday, 06 May 2023, at the CHI Health Center Omaha. It has the following schedule:
- At 7:00 AM, the Berkshire Shareholder Meeting 2023 doors, including the Exhibition Hall, open.
- At 08:30 AM, the enchanting and exclusive Berkshire Shareholder Meeting 2023 Movie will start.
- Directly afterward, shareholders can ask Warren Buffett, Charlie Munger, Ajit Jain, and Greg Abel questions.
- At noon, the shareholder meeting will have a lunch break of one hour.
- Berkshire Hathaway plans to end the meeting at around 4:00 PM.
What to expect from our Good Investing Berkshire AGM guide?
We want to help you to have the best time possible in Omaha with this Good Investing guide. If you are interested in exclusive insights and our best recommendations for your Omaha trip on top of that, you are kindly invited to subscribe to our Berkshire newsletter:
Where can I watch the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholders Meeting 2023 live stream?
You can easily follow the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholders Meeting 2023 online via this CNBC live stream.
How can I get Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholders Meeting 2023 tickets?
It is essential to be patient about tickets or so-called credentials. If you are a shareholder and can prove your ownership of BRK.A or BRK.B shares, there is no risk to traveling without a ticket to Omaha. We never heard of a shareholder that did not get his/her credentials – and we are well-connected. Everything will be fine once you are in Omaha 💚.
There are different ways to get Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholders Meeting 2023 tickets:
Via the official account brka_b, eBay users can also order the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholders Meeting 2023 credentials for a fee of 5 $ on ebay.com or a fee of 5,95 $ on international eBay sites like ebay.de or ebay.co.uk. Please don’t buy tickets online from any account besides brka_b. Only this account is a reputable source.
- For US shareholders, this method could be very convenient for getting tickets. But it is not the cheapest way to get a ticket as you have to pay for every ticket. At the Will Call and by filling out the proxy form, you can get tickets for “free” (but you might have some wait time at the Will Call).
- International shareholders have to also factor in shipping fees and shipping times. Shipping and ticket fees are the cheapest via ebay.com. Here, the international shipping fee is just 12,60 $. Timing the shipping window right can be crucial. It can take up to one month to get the tickets. So, please make sure to have some buffer so your tickets will arrive on time before you fly to the United States.
Berkshire Hathaway sends credentials to shareholders who request them with the proxy form. This form is published together with all proxy documents. Due to high demand and long send times of the postal service, this does not always work. But here is how to go forward:
- Please fill out this proxy form to order tickets. With enough lead time, Berkshire Hathaway will send you the tickets.
- As a US-based shareholder, you can order the AGM tickets via the perforated card on their printed annual report. Or you can ask your broker’s corporate action team for tickets.
As a shareholder, you can pick up your badges on-site in the Will Call area in the lobby of the CHI Health Center. This is possible
- Friday from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm (our recommended day) and
- Saturday from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm.
In the Will Call area, you must show your photo identification (e.g., ) and proof that you are a shareholder.
- The photo identification can, for instance, be your passport or your driver’s license.
- The shareholder proof can be a certificate of your broker, a printed securities account statement, a screenshot, or just your broker app that shows you own a Berkshire Hathaway share.
How can I ask a question at the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting 2023?
During the AGM, Warren Buffett, Charlie Munger, Ajit Jain, and Greg Abel can be addressed with shareholder questions. You have two options to ask a question:
- In advance, you can send your questions to Becky Quick via . Becky will pick the best questions and asks them to the podium.
- If you are at the meeting, you can try your luck with the lottery. At 8:15 AM, shareholders at each of the 11 microphone locations at Berkshire Shareholders Meeting 2023 will be drawn to ask a question. If you are drawn, you can ask any question once Warren Buffett calls your microphone.
How can I get a good seat at the Berkshire Shareholders Meeting 2023?
Many legends are being told about the morning of the Berkshire Hathaway AGM. Some shareholders are “camping” at the conference hall from 4 AM to get in line for the “best” seats.
In 2019, we arrived around 7 AM. Even on this arrival on time, we made it to good seats. To give you insights into the Berkshire AGM morning, we recorded our “run”:
Here is our experience in a nutshell: All seats in the AGM hall are good seats with a great view. Based on our experience, we would recommend these two approaches if you care about an excellent seat or want to sit with a larger group:
- If you want to sit on the ground floor or close to it, it is best to arrive early. It can make sense to bring a camping chair and a blanket to make the wait comfortable in the morning’s cold. An umbrella or raincoat could also help in case it is raining.
- You can arrive around 7 AM when the doors open if you are okay with not sitting on the ground floor. You can speed up your entry if you leave your backpack at home and look for a less crowded entrance. It also helps to go for the upper ranks inside the meeting hall. There you should be able to get a good seat. It can even work to find seats for a larger group up there, as most people first head for the lower levels.
Can I bring my bag to the Berkshire Shareholder Meeting 2023?
The CHI Health Center has a clear bag policy. Details on it can be found on the center’s website. Additionally, here are some of our observations from the morning of the Berkshire Shareholders Meeting:
- For larger bags, there is a baggage check at an airport-like security level for security reasons. Usually, you are only allowed to bring smaller bags into the Berkshire Shareholder Meeting 2023.
- There are also dedicated lines for people with bags, as shown in this video. So, bringing a larger bag or backpack could slow your entry into the AGM as the “bag line” can get crowded.
How is the food situation at Berkshire Shareholder Meeting 2023?
In the morning, you can get breakfast and coffee for free at stands in the convention center. So, there is an option for a refreshing and “free” breakfast.
During the day, you have to pay for food and drinks. A wide selection of offerings is available at the AGM hall stands. The CHI is a cashless facility. So, please bring your credit card. However, you might need some cash to pay in the Exhibition Hall. So, please also have some dollar bills if you consider buying from Dairy Queen or other stands in the Exhibition Hall.
Finding a suitable food stand might be difficult if you are foody or travel on a tight budget. Then it could help to bring your food (e.g., snacks or nut bars), visit the food offerings in the Exhibition Hall or use the skywalk to get food at the Hilton or other restaurants close to the AGM.
How is parking?
There is plenty of parking space available outside the CHI Health Center. You can find the parking spots here.
What can I expect from the Exhibition Hall at the Berkshire Meeting 2023?
The Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting exhibition gives you great insights into Berkshire Hathaway’s company universe.
Exhibitors are Berkshire subsidiaries like Benjamin Moore, Berkshire Hathaway Energy, Borsheims, BNSF Railway, Brooks Running, Clayton Homes, Dairy Queen, Duracell, Fechheimer, FlightSafe International, Forest River, Fruit of the Loom, Geico, Ginsu, H.H. Brown, Jazwares, Johns Manville, Justin Brands, Lubrizol, Marmon Holdings, Nebraska Furniture Mart, Netjets, Oriental Trading, Pampered Chef, See’s Candies, Shaw Industries, Wayne Pumps, and World Book.
The exhibition hall offers excellent options for taking remarkable pictures and fabulous selfies. In our video from 2019 and in this gallery, you can get an impression of the Exhibition Hall and an idea for the best photo spots:
What can I do in addition to the Berkshire AGM 2023 in Omaha?
With our Good Investing Guide, we want to, in addition to the official visitor’s guide, provide helpful information to make your visit to the Berkshire Hathaway AGM 2023 an even better experience. If you have feedback that can make this guide more valuable, please reach out to us.
In addition to the Berkshire AGM 2023, you could join plenty of exciting events in Omaha. Here we share our selection of them:
Which other investing events can I join?
Various investor events will happen in the week of the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholders Meeting 2023. Here is our selection:
We organize many helpful networking events with our community Good Investing Plus from Wednesday to Sunday. If you are a passionate and kind investor looking for an investing community to network with global investors in Omaha, please
On Friday, 05 May, we invite all (soon-to-be) Emerging Managers to the Good Investing Emerging Managers Networking Meeting 2023. The casual event takes place from 3 PM to 6 PM. If you are a (soon-to-be) Emerging Fund Manager, please register here and learn more about the event in this video:
On Friday, 05 May, Gabelli invites you to the Gabelli Omaha conference. The conference takes place from 9 AM to noon. Learn more here and in this video:
On Saturday, 06 May, Willow Oak Asset Management hosts an event after the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholders Meeting. The meeting starts at 5:30 PM. Learn more here and in this video:
Other investing events
There are also other exciting events:
- The CFA Society Nebraska is holding the Value Investing Dinner on Thursday, 04 May, from 5:30 PM.
- Vitaliy Katsenelson is hosting an intimate Investing Breakfast on Friday, 05 May, from 8:00 AM.
- Creighton University offers a Value Investing Panel on Friday, 05 May, from 3:30 PM to 5:30 PM.
- The Heilbrunn Center is hosting “From Graham to Buffett and Beyond” Dinner on Friday, 05 May, from 6 PM.
- Dutch-speaking investors meet for drinks in Hilton Omaha (ground floor bar) on Saturday, 06 May, after the AGM.
- Trupanion is inviting for its annual Q&A in Hilton Omaha on Saturday, 06 May, from 04:00 PM.
- Boston Omaha is holding its AGM in Omaha on Monday, 08 May, from 8 AM to noon.
- The Investor’s Podcast offers public networking events throughout the weekend.
- During the week, the exclusive Value Investor Conference also takes place.
What can I do in Omaha aside from investing events?
Shareholder 5km run
Shareholder shopping events
Shareholders can get very attractive discounts at several shopping events in Omaha:
Berkshire Bazaar of Bargains
Starting at noon on Friday, you can discover the “Berkshire Bazaar of Bargains” in the Exhibition Hall of the Berkshire Shareholder Meeting 2023. There you will have the chance to buy educative Berkshire Hathaway books, meet several authors of the books, shop unique Berkshire Hathaway memorabilia, and acquire your box of See’s Candies.
(Berkshire Hathaway) Book deals
In the Exhibition Hall, the family-owned bookseller Bookworm Omaha offers a wide selection of interesting Berkshire books for sale with a 20% special AGM discount for shareholders. The book selection – curated by Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger – can be found here. At the bookstand in the Exhibition, you will also have the chance to meet many authors and get your book copy signed.
At the Bookworm store in Omaha on 2501 S 90th St #111, Omaha, NE 68124, shareholders with credentials can also get a 20% off on a wide selection of books. The discount is available from Friday to Monday on the Berkshire Shareholder Meeting 2023 weekend.
Nebraska Furniture Mart (NFM)
The everything-store Nebraska Furniture Mart offers special shareholder discounts. The NFM will have a stand in the Exhibition Hall. So, you can easily shop the special deals there.
It is also worth visiting the Omaha location at 700 S 72nd St, Omaha, NE 68114. The best time to go is directly after the AGM on Saturday. Then, the superstore holds the “NFM Berkshire Picnic” at its Omaha location from 5:30 – 8 PM. In addition, you can learn more about the NFM in our video series.
Borsheims is located at 120 Regency Pkwy, Omaha, NE 68114. On the day of the AGM, Berkshire Hathaway will offer a free bus shuttle from the Berkshire Shareholder Meeting 2023 directly to Borsheims. You can find more about it in the visitor’s guide.
Shipping your purchases
For (US-based) shareholders that want to ship their goods, Berkshire Hathaway offers a shipping service in the Exhibition Hall. You can find more about it in the visitor’s guide.
If you plan to bring your purchases from the Berkshire Annual Shareholders Meeting to a country outside the US, we recommend doing this in your travel luggage. Sadly, shipping fees from the US are pretty high. Therefore, better plan with extra space in your luggage for the boxes of See’s Candies peanut brittle and Berkshire books.
The city of Omaha offers an excellent overview of Fun Things to Do in Omaha. Here you can learn about the vibrant nightlife, guided City tours, the famous Omaha zoo, and great free things to do (the bucket list that Value Investors love).
Omaha’s food scene
Foodies can also find interesting restaurant to visit in Omaha:
- Berkshire fans love to visit Gorat’s steak house. We also have heard that Fleming’s is loved by many Value Investors. The Drover was also recommended to us.
- There is no authentic “Omahaian meal.” The Reuben sandwich comes close to it, as this very tasteful sandwich was developed in Omaha. Enjoy a tasty Reuben in Omaha in many great places like Rathskeller or Barrett’s.
- If you enjoy a great breakfast, the Saddle Creek Breakfast Club, Early Bird Brunch, and Lola’s are restaurants you should consider visiting.
- There is always time for good pizza! Smokin’ Oak, Pitch Pizzeria, and Orsi’s could be worth a visit.
- Beer lovers will also enjoy the many craft breweries in Omaha. Insights into the vital scene are shared here.
- As Germans, we care about good bread. Great Harvest Bakery is a bakery where we found great bread.
For groceries, we recommend one of the many Aldi’s in Omaha, the Whole Foods Market at the Regency Parkway, and the Trader Joe’s on Pacific. But it should also be all good if you just go to the super market that is near you.
How can I learn more about Berkshire Hathaway?
Helpful online resources
Here we have collected great online resources to study Berkshire Hathaway:
Berkshire Hathaway AGM resources
- You can listen to or watch Berkshire Hathaway AGM recordings since 1994 on this YouTube or Spotify playlist.
- Austin Value Capital has compiled annual meeting transcripts since 1994. You can download them here.
- In our Berkshire Hathaway blog section, we share insights and knowledge about Berkshire Hathaway.
Berkshire Hathaway business analysis
- Frederik Gieschen – aka Neckar – has collected different essays on Warren Buffett, Charlie Munger, and Berkshire Hathaway on his substack. If you enjoy learning about great investors, the substack is worth a subscription.
- CNBC offers the excellent Warren Buffett Archive. There you will find a lot of exciting content.
- Austin Value Capital has collected a great series of shareholder letters. In his compilation, he is sharing “everything Buffett.” This includes partnership letters, Berkshire Hathaway letters, annual meeting transcripts, memos, and articles.
- The Rational Walk blog has an excellent Berkshire Hathaway resources section. Here you can find a lot of helpful content.
- Christopher Bloomstran of Semper Augustus has developed profound knowledge on Berkshire Hathway and shared it in several formats. To dive deeper into his analysis, you can use his media archive.
- Greggory Warren of Morningstar is a beast in the analysis of Berkshire Hathaway. You can find his recent insights into the business on his Morningstar profile. Enjoy our insightful Greggory Warren Berkshire Hathaway content and this timeless presentation.
With the Good Investing Newsletter, we are covering Berkshire Hathway and Warren Buffett and analyzing other good businesses and good investors. Please subscribe to it here:
Here we want to share our favorite Berkshire Hathaway books with you. You can meet some authors at the AGM’s exhibition as a shareholder. In addition, to getting a signed book, you will also be able to buy them books with a 20% discount.
In “The Complete Financial History of Berkshire Hathaway” author and investor Adam Mead offers a real deep dive into the financial history of the holding from Omaha. This book provides a helpful deep dive for investors.
Jacob McDonough’s Capital Allocation
In “Capital Allocation: The Financials of a New England Textile Mill 1955 – 1985” author and investor Jacob McDonough portrays the early financial history of Berkshire Hathaway.
Do you want to know more about Berkshire Hathaway’s investment criteria and its evolution? Yefei Lu’s book “Inside the Investments of Warren Buffett: Twenty Cases” gives you deep insights into both. We also had the pleasure of chatting with the author:
Hendrik Leber’s Great Minds of Investing
“Great Minds of Investing” is a beautiful coffee table book that portrays Warren Buffett, Charlie Munger, and many other super investors of our time. In our German interview, the publisher Hendrik Leber shares insights on this book:
Gisela Baur’s biography “Warren Buffett – Der Jahrhundertkapitalist“
Through our work, we had the fantastic pleasure of getting to know the German journalist Gisela Baur. Gisela is not only a gem of a person. Since 1998, she has also been a Warren Buffett and Berkshire Hathaway friend. After reading her highly recommended Warren Buffett – Der Jahrhundertkapitalist biography, we had the pleasure of interviewing her. The result can be found in this playlist:
How can I safely and cost-effective travel to and in Omaha?
Here we share our best tips for planning your trip to Omaha.
How can I travel to Omaha for the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholders Meeting 2023?
There are several options to bring you to Omaha for the Berkshire Shareholder Meeting 2023:
Usually, people fly into Omaha’s Eppley Field airport.
Via Eppley Field’s website, you can find all available connections to and from Omaha. This allows you to find a suitable connection if you want to find a way to combine the journey with discovering the United States. Additionally, this Google Flights function can help you to discover the best connections to and from Omaha.
The cheapest flights to Omaha can be found on Tuesday and Wednesday. On Thursday and Friday, prices will be higher due to increased demand. Outbound flights are usually expensive on Sunday and Monday. Prices go down from Monday again and should normalize on Tuesday.
- Des Moines, Lincoln, Grand Island, Sioux City, and Kansas City are options for connections in the US.
- Minneapolis, Chicago, or Denver offer the chance to travel internationally to a city close to Omaha.
We compensate for the CO² emissions of our travel by donating. Atmosfair is a good solution.
You can travel by train to Omaha. Amtrak’s scenic California Zephyr runs daily from Chicago or Denver (Salt Lake City – San Francisco) to Omaha. On both routes, the observation car can make your trip spectacular.
- From Chicago, the train departs at 2 PM. You will arrive in Omaha at 10:55 PM.
- From Denver, the train departs at 7:10 PM and arrives at 04:59 AM in Omaha.
Trains in the US sometimes run late as they share tracks with freight trains. With this map, you can track potential delays from or to Omaha.
If you are a fan of traveling by train as we are, you should also explore Amtrak’s USA Rail Pass. You can ride ten travel segments in the US for 499 $ (and sometimes for the sale price of 299 $). Especially if you want to explore the east coast, this pass could be a great option.
Several Greyhound connections approach Omaha. Traveling by Greyhound is very affordable but also really an adventure.
How can I get around in Omaha during the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholders Meeting 2023?
US cities are very car-centric. But as a visitor to the AGM, you don’t necessarily need a car to get around. Here is an overview of all the options you have to get from A to B in Omaha:
Low-cost & sportive options
- Walking is an excellent option if you stay in Omaha’s east. The older districts of Omaha’s east offer a decent walking infrastructure. By walking, you can also explore the city better.
- Spin and Lime electric scooters are for rent in Omaha. For instance, Lime scooters are bookable via the Uber app.
- In some parts of the city, you can rent Heartland Bcycle’s and discover Omaha with your bike. With the monthly pass for 20 $, you can make a great deal.
- On Saturday, Berkshire Hathaway offers direct bus shuttles to the Berkshire Shareholder Meeting 2023 from different hotels. You can find the routes in the visitor’s guide.
- Several metro bus lines are running in Omaha. This map shows you the operating lines. Tickets can be purchased online. Tickets are just 1,50 $. So, the bus might be the cheapest way to get around for longer distances. In this video you can learn more about the bus service:
- Ride-sharing apps like Uber and Lyft can help you to avoid renting a car. Many trips should be doable below 10 $. Here you can compare fares for Uber and Lyft.
- Looking for a taxi via the zTrip app or 402/292-2222 can make sense. Uber and Lyft could get crowded in the days of the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholders Meeting 2023. Then a taxi can be a cheaper alternative due to their price caps.
- Of course, you can also book a rental car for traveling in Omaha. Qeeq could be helpful here.
- You can use the ParkOmaha (iOs | Android) app to make parking easy. Near the Old Market, there is free parking at the bridge at the Durham Museum.
Travel apps for Omaha
Aside from the curation of specific ways of transportation, here you can also find an overview of helpful apps for traveling in Omaha:
- Google Maps is the map solution. But not all users know that you can download maps ahead of traveling. This function is helpful for Omaha goers.
- zTrip (iOS | Android) helps you to call a taxi in Omaha.
- MyRide OMA (iOS | Android) is the official bus app for Omaha.
- BCycle (iOS | Android) helps you to find and reserve the Heartland Bikes. With the monthly pass for 20 $, you can make a great deal.
- ParkOmaha (iOS | Android) makes paying for parking in Omaha easier.
- Lyft (iOS | Android) and Uber (iOS | Android) helps you to find a shared ride in Omaha.
- Lime (iOS | Android) gives you access to e-scooters in Omaha (you can also book them via the Uber app).
How can I book suitable overnight accommodation for the Berkshire Hathaway AGM 2023?
It is worth planning your journey and your overnight stay. Omaha is packed at the weekend around the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting 2023, and hotel prices will rise quickly. So, you should book the latest in late December or early January to get the best prices for the May Berkshire Shareholder Meeting 2023.
In a hotel
There are also numerous high-quality hotels and motels in Omaha. It could usually make sense to book directly through the hotel’s website as this might be the cheapest and most flexible option. We recommend a location with at least 4.5 stars on Google or more than 8.0 on Booking.com.
Omaha’s hotel capacity has increased during the last few years as the city grows. Searching for recently opened hotels or hotels opening soon could be helpful. As they are in the built-up phase and not on the radar of all visitors, they could still offer capacity and a reasonable price for your stay during the AGM.
The neighboring city Council Bluffs (Iowa), is a secret tip if you are looking for an affordable hotel. Here you could find a cheap hotel if prices in Omaha are high.
In a holiday apartment
On Airbnb, you can find reasonable accommodation at a fair price. We are huge fans of booking accommodation on Airbnb for the Berkshire Shareholder Meeting 2023.
Vrbo can also offer other home rentals that are not listed on Airbnb. Many foreign travelers might not know this local competitor of Airbnb. Therefore, there could be an exciting deal to find.
Please always review the ratings of the place you are planning to book. We would recommend at least a rating of 4.7 stars. In 2019, we made a costly mistake and booked a lower-quality place. So, sadly we had to re-book for the week of the Berkshire Hathaway Annual General Meeting. This was pretty costly.
Sadly, we have also experienced and heard stories about hosts that might ask for a 50%-100% higher price for an already booked accommodation when they realize that the AGM is taking place. The chance is low that this could happen to you (below 5%), but you should know that such a risk exists. If such behavior occurs, you should involve the platform you have booked through right away.
How can I keep my travel expenses low?
Due to inflation, costs have risen over the last few years. As Value Investors, we want to share some cost-saving tips that could reduce your expenses during your stay in Omaha and the United States.
- Wise*: Wise offers an excellent credit card solution to pay in $. Due to Wise’s low exchange fees and the interest on deposits they pay, they became a recommended solution for us.
- Airalo could offer a good solution for your communication and data use in the US. With their service, you can create a cost-effective virtual sim card. With our code “TILMAN1364” you get a 3$ discount on your first payment.
- TooGoodToGo is the best app to save food waste and money. It has a service in many US cities. Sadly, the offer in Omaha is minimal.